Phi Theta Kappa - Tau Delta Chapter
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) is an international honor society of two-year colleges, and two-year academic programs. It's the largest honor society in American higher education, with more than 1.5 million members and 1,200 chapters located in all 50 states and abroad. PTK is also one of the largest collegiate honors societies world-wide.
Phi Theta Kappa provides an intellectual climate for the exchange of ideas, ideals, opportunities for the development of leadership and service, lively fellowship of scholars, and stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.
We welcome you to join Phi Theta Kappa so that you may receive benefits such as:
- Honors Diploma and Transcripts: Phi Theta Kappa members may affix the Society's Gold Diploma Seal, denoting Society membership, to their two-year college diploma and have their honor society membership noted on their college transcripts.
- Scholarships: You can apply for hundreds of scholarships (over $37 million worth) as well as apply for transfer scholarships to over 600 senior institutions. In 2012-13, Nathan Hale, an Alpha Pi Gamma member, was granted a near full-ride scholarship to Stetson University; this school, ranked third in the South, awarded Hale a $45,000 scholarship to be paid over the remaining two years of his bachelor's degree.
- Recognition: Members of Phi Theta Kappa may wear the society's golden monogrammed Honors Stole and Tassel at college commencement proceedings.
- Letter of Recommendation: All Phi Theta Kappa members may request a letter of recommendation from Phi Theta Kappa Headquarters to a potential employer or college admissions official to confirm membership and leadership roles in Phi Theta Kappa. Officers will receive an enhanced letter stating their dates of service and office(s) held.
- Nota Bene: Submit your poetry, prose, and short stories to Nota Bene, the Phi Theta Kappa literary review. Not only does Nota Bene offer Society members an opportunity to be published, it also rewards the members it finds to be the five most outstanding authors with scholarships, including four $500 Reynolds Scholarships and one $1,000 Citation Scholarship.
- College Fish: College Fish alone is worth the price of your Phi Theta Kappa membership! It is a versatile program that searches for scholarships. College Fish relays your information to universities across the globe, many of which will recruit you. These universities often compete for your attendance to their school by offering scholarships. College Fish saves you the time of searching for scholarships, showing nearly all of the scholarships you are eligible for all in one place. It also has tools to help you find and be admitted to your dream school.
- Give Back: Our chapter involves itself with several charity events yearly, ranging from clothing and school supply drives to feeding the homeless and hosting community-wide events. Phi Theta Kappa is a great way to give back to your community! Watch a video on Phi Theta Kappa here.
Phi Theta Kappa is built on four pillars, or hallmarks that each chapter strives to capture in each of its activities:
- Scholarship: Academic study or achievement; learning of a high level.
- Leadership: The state or position of being a leader.
- Fellowship: Friendly association, especially with people who share one's interests.
- Service: The action of helping or doing work for someone else.
Phi Theta Kappa (national website)
Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
29 E. Madison St. Chicago, IL 60602